May 16, 2023
Picture a pizza straight out of your dreams: a sourdough crust, golden and inviting; mozzarella cheese, melting to perfection; and the aroma of fresh basil filling your kitchen.
With this Sourdough Margarita Pizza recipe by Leslie Carney , you'll master pizza-making with ease. Preheat your oven, assemble your ingredients, and let's create a flavorful masterpiece, one slice at a time.
• Pizza dough - store bought or recipe follows.
• 6-8 ounces mozzarella cheese sliced into 5 or 6 pieces
• Homemade red sauce or store bough pizza sauce (use marinara in a
pinch) - about 1/3 cup or as needed.
• 2 tsp oregano
• salt and pepper to taste
• Fresh basil
• 2 Tablespoons of olive oil to finish
• Start with store-bought pizza dough or you can make your own. I used 130 g sourdough starter, 500 g flour, 340 g water plus another 10 g to add with the salt , and 12 g salt to form my dough.
• Place the sourdough, starter and water (reserve 10 g of water to use when salt is added) in a large bowl. Stir with a fork or spatula to combine. Add flour and knead the dough until flour is completely incorporated. Cover. Allow to rest for 30 minutes and then add the salt. Press the salt into the dough and do a series of lift and folds until salt is fully incorporated. Cover and allow to rest for another 30 minutes and then repeat the stretching and folding again. Repeat this cycle three more times. The dough will get smoother and stronger.
• Bulk fermentation. Cover with saran wrap or a bathing cap. Place dough in the refrigerator and allow to slow ferment for 6 to 12 hours. Remove dough from refrigerator. Turn dough out on to a floured surface. Divide into four equal portions. You can refrigerate or freeze you don’t want to use some of it.
• Place steel baking sheet or pizza stone on top third of the oven. Set oven to 450°F. Preheat baking pan or pizza stone for about 20 to 30 minutes.
• Form pizza dough. Start by pressing down the center, making the edges a little bit thicker. Use your hands to form an 8 to 10 inch round pizza.
• Transfer pizza dough to a piece of parchment paper and place on baking sheet.
Place pizza dough in the oven for about five minutes.
•Remove and spread three or 4 tablespoons of your favorite homemade red sauce or marinara on to the dough. Add sliced mozzarella and sprinkle with oregano, salt, and red pepper flakes. Just it with olive oil and bake at 400°F for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove pizza from the oven when she has a smell good and he said I was golden brown. Top with fresh basil. Serve immediately. Cheers!
PS: While you are here, why not give a try to our delicious vino! Click here to learn more.