June 13, 2023
• 2 tbsp butter
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 3 shallots or 1 small onion, diced
• 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
• 6 oz white wine
• 4-5 cups chicken or bone broth
• 3/4 - 1 pound asparagus
• 1 cup frozen peas
• 1 tbsp grated lemon zest
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 1/2 cup Parmesan plus extra for serving
- Heat olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter in a medium sauce pan over medium to low heat.
- Add onions and sauté for about six minutes or until just starting to brown.
- Simmer broth in a second pot.
- Add the rice and stir to coat.
- Add the white wine and simmer, stirring occasionally until absorbed.
- When the wine is absorbed, add one ladle of stock to the rice and stir until absorbed. Continue to add one cup at a time. This process will take 20 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile peel the ends off of the asparagus, and then cut into 1 inch length, discard the end. Sauté with more olive oil, or blanch in boiling water for about five minutes until al dente.
- Drain and cool and ice water.
- When the risotto is about halfway through the cooking process, 15 minutes, or so, drain the asparagus and add to the risotto with the peas and lemon zest. Season to taste. Continue cooking, adding the stock until the rice is tender, but still firm.